|AuschwitzPage 1234||BirkenauPage 123||Other||Plaszów
Memorial to all the nationalities murdered by the Germans in the Plaszów camp. It was designed by Witold Ceckiewicz and unveiled on September 4, 1964. Its inscription reads: 'In memory of the martyrs murdered in the Nazi genocide of 1939-45'.
The Plaszów camp claimed many victims. The prisoners were enfeebled by hunger and illness, beaten; and exhausted by overwork. Of course, execution was at all times a possibility.
There are several mass graves on the site of the camp with thousands of people buried in them. The Germans had planned to build a crematorium there to burn the dead bodies - they even transported the equipment and materials needed to the camp but did not finally manage to set it up.
The witnesses' testimonies suggested that in the camp's early phase there were about 2,000 people there, rising to 10,000 and then to 25,000. The exact number of Jews killed in Plaszów, or removed from there and killed elsewhere, is difficult to establish.
The lists of Jews taken from Plaszów to Auschwitz-Birkenau are now kept in the archives of the state museum in Auschwitz. But these generally concern those not killed in the gas chambers immediately on arrival but instead assigned numbers and made prisoners.
Around 2,000 people survived evacuation from Plaszów. Among these were around 1,000 people - seven hundred men and three hundred women - saved by Oskar Schindler. In October 1944, thanks to him, they were taken from Kraków to spend the rest of the war in Brünnlitz in the Sudetenland.